Friday, August 16, 2013

Cardiac health scanner worker detects her own heart tumour (UK)

Cardiac health scanner worker detects her own heart tumour (UK)A hospital worker who scans hearts discovered her own heart tumour during a routine training exercise. Amy Sherwood, 33, an echocardiographer at Wrexham Maelor Hospital, was acting as a Guinea pig with a colleague when she spotted the growth. Ms Sherwood became one of just a few patients in the UK to receive keyhole heart surgery to remove the tumour, which meant a shorter recovery period. Two weeks after the operation, she married her fiance Simon Bowden. Ms Sherwood was stunned to discover the tumour. "Although I've been carrying out echocardiograms on patients for a number of years, never in my working life did I imagine that I would find a problem with my own heart - especially so close to my wedding day," she said

No comments: