Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Women's heart disease tied to weight and waistline

"Despite education efforts, heart disease is still a leading cause of death in American women. So how do you protect yourself and your loved ones? 'I was in perfect health,' said Louise Bell. 'I took no medication. I was an aerobics instructor. I worked out an hour a day, five to six days a week.' Bell, 47, was a picture of good health. As a flight nurse, her job was to save other people's lives. One day, that all changed. 'I was sitting at my computer early one morning and I just had a crushing pain across my chest,' she said. 'When I felt the pain, I stood and then I sat down and I couldn't get back up.' Bell was having a heart attack, the first of two she would have in just a couple of days time. She had no warning signs and no risk factors. Doctors later told her it was the result of a congenital heart problem called Microvascular Disease, when small blood vessels going to the heart are blocked or have a decreased blood flow" - NBC

No comments: